Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Why I should not cook...

So I cooked for the first time in a while last night and I'm beginning to rethink my decision. Jarred was home and playing with Jack so I can't even say he was a distraction. I began to cut the chicken on my cutting board and put a pot of beans on the back burner to heat up. All of a sudden I smell something funny and try to figure out what it is. I think, "I bet the cutting board is touching the back burner" so I go to lift it off and it is melted to the stove. I had turned on the FRONT burner. I think I said, "Oh crap" (really, I did). As Jarred walks in and starts to laugh, I say "I meant to turn on THIS burner" and turned on the back burner. HOWEVER, I actually turned on the front burner again and it begins to turn red and continue to melt the plastic on the stove. Jarred laughs harder. I finally do turn on the right burner and begin to smell something else funny. I then realize that a wooden spoon is touching the back burner and beginning to burn. We did end up eating a very nice dinner but we lost a cutting board and almost a wooden spoon in the process. :)

6 comments:

Cornelius Crew said...

I deeply believe that moments like this are why God made take out! And youre better than me, i would've thrown in the towel ( not literally, because you would've burned that too) and ordered out!
Good luck with the next meal!

Cornelius Crew said...

You should have to have a license to work one of those things! With all 4 of those knobs it gets just way too complicated. You almost have to be a brain surgeon, a rocket scientist or maybe the head checker at wal-mart to comprehend all of the functions of a common stove. You might should file a lawsuit with the manufacturer for not making it idiot proof! (Don't take that as an insult).
ps--invest in a good quality fire extinguisher Jared!
Kent

Jami said...

Thanks, to both of you, for such wonderful advice. You and Jarred should team up because he offered to label them: FRONT & BACK for me.

Jen said...

Well - you have been harassed enough. It is an honest mistake and next time just blame Jack - that what kids are good for. :)

Kelly Rose said...

nice.

Rita said...

GOOD GRIEF! Now I KNOW we are related! Have you ever boiled eggs until they blew-up? :)