Sunday, November 30, 2008

I Was There.

I love Tennessee football. It is so exciting to be a part of the game, with so many people, so many traditions and usually a lot of winning. The past few years for Tennessee have been hit or miss and this year was a big miss. We lost more than we won, and we hardly ever do that. After every game, the call-in shows had people calling in who had all the answers. "Fire the coach, it's time for change, the old ways aren't working." Well, our athletic director listened to the fans (perhaps mostly the ones who donate a lot of money), and fired our coach. Now this isn't anything new in football. Schools that have winning programs make a lot of money, and as we all know, it's all about money. Tennessee has a lot of money. We have the 2nd biggest stadium in the nation and a pretty darn good football program. What's different about this situation is that our coach is part of the tradition. He's been a part of Tennessee football for 34 years as a player, assistant coach and head coach. Not too many schools can say that. I have to say that I am sad about all of this. When you have that much invested in the program, you should be treated better than to be fired in the middle of the season. Jarred and I got to go the last game and I'm really glad I was there. It was cold and rainy but we stayed til the end. Here are some photos from the game.

The team walks from their dorm to the stadium about 2 hours before game time. The cheerleaders and mascot help entertain before they come.

Smokey, posed just for me. Thanks, Smokey.

Here's our coach, Phillip Fulmer. I really don't think it will be the same without him, but I'll give it a shot.
The team praying before the game.

Another tradition is the pregame performance by the band. They say it is a tradition "unrivaled in college football." I haven't seen many college football games other than Tennessee's but I have to say I agree. It is pretty awesome.

The Power T.

They march to the end of the field where they form a solid T, then spread apart so the football team can run through the T. It sends chills up your spine every time.

It's football time in Tennessee!

I managed to get a few good shots of a few good plays. We were not a good football team this year, but I am still a fan.

The running back is trying to flip into the endzone, but he missed.

We did have a nice long pass to a wide open receiver and here he is all alone in the endzone.

We didn't get to see this very often this year.

The whole team surrounded Fulmer at the end of the game. It was very emotional.

Then they carried him off the field.

If Coach Fulmer ever reads my blog (I'm sure he will), I want to say thanks and that I am one Vol fan who is sad to see you go.

1 comment:

agnieszka said...

O Jami! It is so lovely the way you are all about the football, and the couch. It is great to be with someone for good and bed time!!!! You are vey loyal fun and it is very precious. And I remeber that You took me to the football game a few years ago! It was fun. Kisses--a