Thursday, February 7, 2008

Big Orange, Big Tree

Let's start with the happier news. Jarred and I went to the Tennessee vs. Florida game on Tuesday night and were happy when we won 104-82. Tennessee is now ranked #7 and is off to it's best start in school history. (I've probably just jinxed us.) It was an awesome game. Here's a view from our seats. We were kinda up there. GO BIG ORANGE!

Now for the not so happy news. Wednesday morning we woke up to lots of thunder and rain. Throughout the day the wind was really strong and all of a sudden I hear a loud bang. A tree fell on our house. Now... this is about the 4th tree to fall in our backyard so every time the wind blows we get worried. Jarred and I had been sending each other text messages (he works hard) about the wind and I sent one that said, "It sure is windy, I hope a tree doesn't fall on our house." We text back and forth about needing to cut them down when I hear the BANG. Well, I was in the most obvious of places to be when you get scared, the bathroom, and I jumped up and first ran into Jack's room. He was fine, still sleeping, it didn't even wake him up. I immediately called Jarred and told him, he headed home and our doorbell rang. It was our neighbors from across the street who saw the tree fall and came over to check on us. I walk outside with them and here's what I see... Nice, huh? So I proceed to call insurance and file the claim. Well with all the tornadoes and bad weather across west Tennessee, I'm not too high on the priority list so we're not sure when we'll get this fixed. Good news is, we've got someone out today to take the tree off the house and get a tarp up. As long as we don't have a lot of rain, we should be ok. As unfortunate as this situation is, I can't help but think about the people in west Tennessee and other states that got hit with the tornadoes. In the grand scheme of things, we're pretty lucky. I think the latest death toll over there was 55. My pictures pale in comparrison to what the pictures from the tornado look like, but here's some of the damage.
This one below is in our laundry room. There are small cracks in and around the kitchen area, but this one is the worst.
Jarred got up in the attic and discovered broken beams. If you look closely this one on the far right is split. If you look right above the insulation you can see 2 broken beams there.
Anyway, we'll keep you updated on the insurance situation. Jack and I are headed to Nashville this weekend and to Kentucky on Saturday for a shower for Kel. Hope your week was more uneventful than mine!






2 comments:

Kelly Rose said...

Thare's a big hole up 'ere......'bout 3 feet wide!

TTidmore said...

Jami,

Good to hear from you. It seems that just about everyone has a blog now. Sorry about the tree, but glad everyone is safe. So is your whole family in TN now? Do you know of anyone else from our THS days that has a blog? Feel free to email me if you want (taylor.tidmore@gmail.com).

Taylor