Thursday, August 21, 2008

Day 2

Day 2 of preschool didn't start out very promising. We talked about it all the way to the school and all he could say was, "Mommy go with you." I tried to tell him I would go and stay with him for a little while but then he was going to get to be a big boy and stay there by himself. He started to cry and say he didn't want to go. Once we got inside he was ok and started to play with the toys, but when I tried to tell him goodbye he broke down and tried to keep holding onto my neck. The teacher took him and he did the arch your back thing and started to have (as one of Kelly's students would say) a little meltdown. I walked out, with a few tears in my eyes, and left. Every time my phone rang today I figured it would be the school calling. I went to pick him up about 30 minutes early to do a little spying through the window but he and 2 other boys were in the church lobby on a wagon ride. I got a very enthusiastic, "MOMMY!" and he almost thought about crying but just said, "Jack ready go." I told him we needed to get his lunch box (John Deere, of course) and talk to his teacher. Ms. Kelli (cool, huh) said he had a great day, ate most of his lunch and only cried a few minutes after I left. She said a few times during the day he remembered I was gone but was ok very quickly. She said he did really good at following their routines and sat at the table for lunch just like a big boy would! I was really proud and relieved that he had a good day. I hope the long weekend doesn't make Tuesday hard, but you all know he is so smart :) so I'm sure he will do just fine!

To top things off after I dropped him off this morning, I got in the car and switched to the "regular" music and all that was going on were the DJs talking about picking up kids at a local church and that police were on the scene... etc. I finally found out that a boy had been shot at one of our high schools. The other boy that shot him apparently was having a disagreement with him so it wasn't a random event, but still tragic. I can't imagine how the parents of ALL the kids at the school were feeling wondering if it was their child that had been shot and here I was worrying that Jack was just crying. The boy that was shot later died at the hospital so that just makes it all worse. Jack's separation anxiety and my worry about him pales in comparison. I cried for this boy's family and couldn't help but think that someday that could be happening at Jack's high school. I know I shouldn't think that way and for the most part, I am a very positive person, but at times like this you just have to stop and think. This shooting comes just a few weeks after a person opened fire in a church here and killed 2 people because he was opposed to the church's liberal views. It makes me so thankful for my wonderful upbringing and unbelievable amount of common sense ;) Maybe I should bottle it up and give it to the idiots out there that think opening fire in a church will solve their problems and the kids that think shooting random or targeted people is the most logical solution.

Well, there, I'm done with my political speech. Here is a picture of Jack celebrating his good day at school. He is eating pretzels and watching CARS. Thanks to everyone that send good thoughts Jack's way for his first week of school.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEA, Jack! Aunt Lissa is so proud of you. And I want you to know that it's okay to cry for Mommy sometimes. Even us "big kids" hearts hurt for our mommies, sometimes! Hugs and kisses to you, Mommy and Daddy.

agnieszka said...

Hi Jami, trying to treat this terrible subject lightly I can tell You one think: we have room for You in Poland and in my country guns are prohibited. We will have American "anti-missile shilds" located soon, which makes us feel much safer :))))), especially concerning how enthusiastic Russia is about it.
Anyway - You are always welcome. I cannot promise we do not have idiots though... .

Cornelius Crew said...

Jack is such a good kid! I'm so glad that it is going well. It's always so hard to leave them, especially when they are crying( and even harder when you're crying- speaking from experience of course!) If you get that common sense bottled up, send some our way!