Monday, August 11, 2008

Life is Good!

Well, we didn't have internet access at the cabin so I couldn't blog while I was there. It's ok, though, I just enjoyed being in the mountains! Here is a recap of our week in Townsend.

On the first day, Tuesday, Mom, Dad, Jack and I got up there a little early and checked in before the Texas group for there. Once they arrived, Jack was a little apprehensive... for about 5 minutes. He wasn't quiet the rest of the week! Wannie surprised him with a new quilt. It hasn't left his side much since he got it.
Jack's new tractor quilt from Wannie.

We also celebrated Wannie & Poppa's 60th wedding anniversary on Wednesday the 6th. It's hard to imagine being married for 60 years. They are both such a perfect example of how to be married!!

We had a really cool video for them to watch but we wanted to wait until Kelly, Ryan, Abbott and Jarred were with us on the weekend so on their real anniversary we took them to dinner and I made up a goofy poem and we gave them cards and a picture frame with their wedding picture and one taken a few months ago. This fooled them into thinking that we wouldn't do anything else! We are really sneaky.

On Thursday we got out and ventured to the Little River Railroad museum in Townsend. I was beginning to be able to get around a little better. That afternoon, Wannie, Jack and I stayed at the cabin and rested while the rest went on a drive of the Foothills Parkway and a tour of Sam Houston's (yes, the first Texas president) school house in Maryville.

Jack and Wannie shared some peanuts.

Jack didn't quite get his nap out. I can't tell you the last time he slept in my lap. It was kind of nice!

My parents on the Foothills Parkway. Since I didn't go, and wasn't moving around all that well, I relied on the rest of the family to take pictures, too. These are a collection of all the camera's shots.

Jack really got the hang of foosball and wanted to teach everyone how to play. He is showing Aunt Lissa where the balls go. At random times during the week he would shout out, "Jack reay go play foooball."

He obviously took a good nap, as evident by the great hairstyle. He and Aunt Lissa really do like each other, despite what the picture says.

Friday night, everyone was finally together so Kelly suggested that we watch the movie that her little preschool class had made. They really did make a movie, but this was just an excuse to get the anniversary video in the dvd player. We showed them a 30 minute recap of the past 60 years complete with videos, pictures and phone greetings from most of their family and friends. This picture is the one Aunt Lissa took when the movie started. I think they were surprised and loved it!

Saturday morning we ventured out to do a little shopping. The last store of the day was the John Deere store in Pigeon Forge. This sign was on their door.

Jack got his own little camp chair from Aunt Lissa... yes, it's a John Deere chair. This boy loves his tractors!

Jack and Uncle Don are enjoying the unusually cool August weather around the fire pit at our cabin. It was very hot the first 2 days of the week and then cooled down to the low 80s with almost no humidity. We couldn't have asked for better weather.

Sunday morning, we just all relaxed at the cabin. Aunt Lissa was holding Abbott and Jack got a little jealous. Rather than tell him "No" (is that allowed?), she let them both sit in her lap.

Abbott tried really hard to get Jack's cup in his mouth.

Kelly, Ryan and Abbott headed home mid afternoon and the rest of us took a scenic drive through the Smoky Mountains up to Clingman's Dome- the highest point in Tennessee. Uncle Don, Aunt Lissa, Wannie & Poppa take a look on the way up.

Is it possible to be in 2 places at once? I guess so, Jack's in Tennessee and North Carolina.

We are in Tennessee and North Carolina, too. WOW!

Jack never did cooperate and let anyone get a good picture of us. I guess this shows just how we live our lives... crazily!

Dad and Poppa are deep in thought.

Here is the top of Clingman's Dome. Actually, we could have hiked half a mile to the top of the tower, but my feet just weren't up to it. It was a little smoky, but the view was still incredible.

Another view from Clingman's Dome.

You just wanted to sing, "I'm on top of the world, looking down on creation..."

On the way back down, we saw a bear. Yep, a real live black bear. He was just on the side of the road eating. It was like the papparazi was there, with everyone taking pictures. Out of 4 cameras, just in our 2 cars, this was the best picture of the bear. And the winner is... Aunt Lissa!!

On our last night at the cabin, Jack and Poppa looked through the tractor catalog to see which one they wanted to buy. I don't know what they finally decided on, but they discussed them all for quite a long time.

Time sure does fly when you're having fun. I know it's a cliche but it's really true. We spent weeks looking forward to this trip, getting the video ready, figuring out our menus and talking to each other about how excited we were, and now it's all over. We had such a great time and we can't wait for the next time. Now we've got a week to get Jack ready for preschool. YAY! Hope all y'all's summers were great!

7 comments:

Momo Jo said...

That's a nice recap of our week. Dood dwob Jami.

Jami said...

Tank you.

agnieszka said...

HI, I really cannot belive that peple can get long for such along time!!! we have hart time for 3 years (on 15th August) and it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo difficult very often. I cannot belive that people can enjoy it 20 times longer ...
Gooooood - maybe I am just a small person with weak character :(((

I love Your bear - I was hicking ther with Adam G and I am very happy I hadn't meet him there...

Jack and Abbot and handsome and cool and I think they will be the famouse hartbreaker's duet in TN :))

kisses a

Cornelius Crew said...

I love the sign on the door- I mean, think about it, I don't want a spit cup in my house, can't blame them for not wanting it in there store! I may just put one of those up!!(totally kidding, for those of you who may be missing my sarcasm) Looks like so much fun and I love his quilt! I'm hoping that I can do his pillow case once school gets started, then he'll have a complete set!

Jami said...

I can't wait to see your spit cup sign on the front door. That will be great. You can send me a picture of it when you send the Dale Earnhardt quilt! ;)

Kelly Rose said...

I hope that's not the bear that attacked the little boy over the weekend! y'all had a close call....glad we were gone by then! :)

we had too much fun in not enough time, didn't we?

Momo Jo said...

We always have way too much fun. Aren't we lucky?