Friday, May 8, 2009

Hit & Run

Today, I was the victim of a hit and run. I was driving through an intersection and another driver decided to turn left at the same time. The crazy thing is, he wasn't in the turn lane and I had a green light. I guess technically so did he, but he shouldn't have been turning. He hit my back driver's side wheel and it spun me almost around to where I was facing oncoming traffic. I tried to find my phone but it had fallen on the floorboard. When I finally found it, I called 911 and explained what happened. He told me I could move my car out of the way since no one was hurt. As soon as it happened, I wondered if I had run a red light because another car turned after him. I didn't know he wasn't in the turn lane until another car had stopped to see if I was ok and tell me what she saw. I waited for the police and the woman who stopped with me assured me that I did have the green light and it wasn't my fault and that the driver who hit me wasn't even in the turn lane. When the police showed up they got all of her information and she left. I was thankful she stopped because I didn't really know what happened. While the police officer was getting my information, another car showed up and an older man got out with his wife. He handed the police officer a piece of paper. He was the man who turned after the guy who hit me. He followed him until he could get his license plate number. The police officer told me they'd start to work on the case and if I didn't hear from them by late next week to call back. Jack was so good during the whole ordeal. He sat calmly in the car and let me do what I needed to do. He said, "Mommy, your car said, 'eeeeeeeee'". I asked him if it was scary and he said, "Mommy, was it fuuuuuuun?" Thank goodness it didn't scare Jack, because it sure scared me! He also said, "Mommy, did you bonk your head?" I said, "No, did you?" He said, "Yes, right here and right here" pointing to the head rests in his car seat. Fortunately, he seems to be just fine and thought the whole experience was fun. I didn't think my car had much damage. I was surprised because just the wheel and the bumper had black scratches on them. When we got to my parents' house Dad and Jarred noticed that my back wheel is bent pretty good. We were planning on staying here this weekend anyway, since Kelly & Abbott are on their way so I'll just stay here til Monday morning and take it to the Chevy dealer down the street from here (the one they advertise for). It was a nerve racking experience and I was pretty scared. I realize how much worse it could have been and thank the angels that were watching over Jack and I today. Here are some pics of my car. I'll keep you updated on the status of the wreck and the driver who cowardly left the scene. I also thank the nice lady who saw what happened and stayed to give the report to the police and my hero of the day is the wonderful couple who chased him down to get his license plate number.

Black scratches on the wheel and bumper.

You can see how the wheel slants out compared to the front wheel.

Compared to the other back wheel.

I noticed driving out to my parents' that my steering wheel was turned to the left, even when I was driving straight. When I tried to straighten it up, I veered to the right. This is how it looks in the "straight" position. What an interesting day.



3 comments:

ClintandGina said...

So glad that you and lil Jack are okay. Sorry about your car though! Hope they catch the sucker.

Tiffany and Ryan said...

Yikes! So glad you and Jack are okay! I hope they catch that guy---good to know that for every bad person there are people out there willing to do the right thing and stop and help or get his plate #s.

The Padilla Family said...

OH NO! I hate to hear this. I am glad that y'all are ok!!! Can't believe that happened!