Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Motivated in May Meals

I know it may be a little late to make this for Cinco de Mayo but I thought that for whoever wants to be Motivated with me, I'll share some of my healthy recipes. None are creations I've come up with but recipes that we've either adapted to be healthier or from a healthy source. If you have some recipes that are good but not too healthy, email them to me and I'll try to "healthify" them. I'll try to share some healthy recipes every few days so we can all stay motivated. Oh, and if you have healthy recipes, share those, too. You can either blog about them and let me know or you can email me volgrad01@aol.com. I'll share those with everyone else too. Here is what we're having for Cinco de Mayo instead of going to our favorite restaurant (which is really kinda bumming me out, but I keep reminding myself about the 4 pounds I've already gained).

Baked Turkey and Jack Cheese Chimichangas

2 serving cooking spray (5 1 second sprays per serving)
1/2 pound uncooked ground turkey breast
16 oz. fat free refried beans
8 oz. salsa
4 1/2 oz. canned diced green chiles, drained
1 tsp. chili powder
3 Tbsp. scallions, thinly sliced
1 c. shredded reduced fat monterey jack cheese
8 large burrito size whole wheat tortillas
1 c. salsa- optional
1/2 c. fat free sour cream- optional

1. Preheat oven to 350. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Coat a 13x9x2 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Add turkey to skillet and cook over medium-high heat until browned, about 5 min. Drain any access liquid from pan and add beans, 8 oz salsa, green chiles, chili powder and scallions. Cook until heated through, about 3 min, stir in cheese.
3. Wrap tortillas in foil and warm in oven for 10 min.
4. Assemble chimichangas by spooning 1/2 c. turkey mixture onto each tortilla, fold in sides and roll up.
5. Place chimichangas in prepared baking dish. Bake uncovered until tortillas are crisp and brown, about 20 min. Serve each with 2 Tbsp of salsa and 1 Tbsp of sour cream (if desired).

I will serve this with a whole grain spanish rice that I found (Rice a Roni, I think) and I'm slicing up a cantaloupe. It won't be Abuelo's but it will be much better for me!! Feliz Cinco de Mayo!

No comments: