Sunday, May 10, 2009

Motivated in May- Meals

I thought Mother's Day weekend might be a big time to get un-motivated. Kelly and Abbott were here and we spent the weekend with my parents. When we're all together, especially on special occasions, we usually go overboard with the food. Mom, Jarred and I have lost quite a bit of weight on weight watchers and Dad has maintained his weight so we didn't want to let it all go now! Just kidding, but I had gotten back on track these 2 weeks being home so I did want to stay on track. We made one dessert, that by the time everyone had a piece was gone, and cooked healthy. Dad made whole wheat waffles and we had healthy egg mcmuffins. They bought a rotisserie chicken already cooked and shredded it for chicken sandwiches. Saturday night we cooked potatoes and corn on the cob on the grill and had pulled pork sandwiches. Today for dinner we had more pork sandwiches and roasted asparagus and squash. I'll give you the recipes for these, because they're easy and yummy!!! I'd say we did pretty good this weekend. I weigh in on Thursday so I'll update then.

My friend, Dixie found a website called hundredpushups.com and we decided to do this challenge. So far, I've recruited Jarred, Kelly and Ryan. I'm trying to get my mom and dad to do it and I think Dixie got her husband, Kent to do it. If anyone would like to join us, let me know and we'll keep you motivated on that, too. We've also decided to run/walk in a 5K in Nashville in the middle of June. Dixie is doing one in Amarillo. I encourage those that are motivated with me to find one in June, too and we'll all walk/run together!

For now, here are some recipes to keep you motivated!

Pulled Pork Tenderloin:

1 prepackaged tenderloin (enough for your family)
dry rub of your choice- we chose a BBQ flavor

Rub tenderloin with dry rub and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least a couple of hours, but it's best overnight. Cook at 225 for about 1.5 hours per pound or until internal temperature of meat is 180. Wrap in foil until cool and then shred with a fork. Serve on whole wheat hamburger buns with your choice of BBQ sauce (check those calories and fat)!

Roasted Squash and Asparagus:

Slice squash (enough to feed your family) and coat with 1-2 tsp. of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Spread on a cookie sheet on parchment paper. Cook at 400 for 20 min.

Break ends off asparagus (enough for your family) and coat the same as squash. Spread on cookie sheet and cook at 400 for 15 min. (you may need to cook a little longer if it's really thick or a little shorter if it's really thin.

For those following weight watchers, the squash would be 0 points, the asparagus would be 1. 1 hamburger bun (Nature's Own whole wheat) is 1 point and 1 oz of the meat would be 1. I probably had more than 1 oz of meat but my meal was probably 4 points and I was stuffed! I'm not a fan of veggies but these were so good. It made me feel so good to eat so healthy!

I feel even more motivated now and I'm hopping back on that treadmill and doing my push ups tomorrow! You still with me???

1 comment:

Cornelius Crew said...

Excellent post ! I'd love more ideas on how to cook veggies healthy but in ways that the boys won't whine, so send any suggestions my way. I'm going to my parents to run in the morning and will do my pushups before I start. My running goal tomorrow is 25 solid minutes so think good Thoughts for me in the morning! Look forward to more easy, yummy, healthy recipes!